Fireworks might have been exploding in the world’s largest city at midnight but 2011 in private equity fundraising closed with a wimper, according to Preqin’s latest stats on fundraising.
– The most popular fund type was buyouts; 92 such funds closed having raised about USD 70 billion.
– The most numerous were venture funds; 133 finished fundraising and pulled in an aggregate USD 32 billion.
– Good news is that it took less time for fund to close. It took 16.5 months, which two less than in 2010.
– The largest fundraising of the year was a USD 7 billion secondaries fund raised by Lexington Capital Partners VII.
– Despite a strong second quarter, in which 189 funds closed having collected $88.4bn in commitments, the total amount raised in 2011 was USD 263 billion, less than the USD 274 billion raised in 2010.