January is the month to get the dealmaking and investment highlights of the previous year from the leading industry research teams. This week Preqin does not disappoint.
– Preqin’s latest data shows that PE funds that closed in the final quarter of the year raised a similar amount to those closed in the previous quarter and it expects Q4 totals to increase by around 10-20% over Q3 as further information becomes available.
– A record 1,949 funds are currently on the road seeking an aggregate USD 797.1 billion (see graphic)
– North American deal flow reached a post-Lehman high in 2012, with 2,866 buyout deals announced valued at USD 254.6 billion.
– Quarterly infrastructure fundraising hits four-year high in Q4 2012 with a “significant” USD 11.9 billion raised by the eight unlisted infrastructure funds
– PE real estate fundraising reaches highest quarterly total since Q3 2008 with twenty-eight closed-end real estate funds raising an aggregate of USD 22.6 billion, more than double the USD 10.7 billion raised in Q3 2012.
– VC deals activity continued to slide in Q4 2012 with a 6% drop in the number and 5% decline in the value of deals in comparison to Q3 2012, and a 13% and 23% decline in number and value from Q2 2012. Between 2011 and 2012 the aggregate value of deals announced dropped by 22%. (Image source: Preqin)